Apply to be Leader of the EUYO
The European Union Youth Orchestra is seeking an orchestra leader for the Orchestra’s 2023 season.
The EUYO is offering a life changing opportunity to a rare violinist who can inspire the Orchestra through the highest levels of instrumental playing, musicianship and leadership. You should show a real balance between technical ability, heart, head and gut, and a natural capacity to inspire and command with ease through combining strengths in all of these differing characteristics.
All applicants must submit the following information by 30 October 2022:
- Your CV, giving details of experience in all fields, but with an emphasis on orchestral and leadership experience, and solo performance.
- A statement describing why you think you should be considered for this role. What is it that YOU have that we are looking for?
- Optional: weblinks to any current recorded solo performances
The deadline to apply has now passed.
A list of candidates to go forward to the shortlisting stage of auditions will be announced by 7 November 2022. For these shortlisted candidates:
(1) For violinists already applying as part of the autumn 2022 auditions to the join the EUYO 2023 Orchestra:
You should prepare a one-take video of the highest technical quality to reach us by 21 November 2022, which will include,
- Richard Strauss Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30: All solos
(2) For violinists not already applying as part of the autumn 2022 auditions to the join the EUYO 2023 Orchestra:
You should prepare a one-take video (no longer than 20 mins in total) of the highest technical quality to reach us by 21 November 2022, which will include,
- An excerpt of a romantic concerto, or substantial solo work, with accompaniment (between 4-8 minutes)
- The following three orchestral excerpts;
(i) an orchestral violin solo of your choice (maximum of 2 minutes)
(ii) Anton Bruckner Symphony No. 9 in D minor: III. Adagio: Langsam, feierlich (Violin II)
(iii) Richard Strauss Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30: All solos
All shortlisting videos should be uploaded to YouTube, either as an unlisted or public video – do not choose the “private” setting by 21 November 2022. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted about how and where to submit their videos.
The audition repertoire sheet music can be found here.
Final stage candidates will be asked to attend an audition in person in Italy during the week of 12 December 2022. In preparation, candidates are asked to familiarise themselves with the entire part of Richard Strauss Also sprach Zarathustra.
We welcome all applications, but please be aware that the following conditions apply:
- You should be no more than 30 years of age on 31 December 2022
- You must be a citizen of an EU member state (EU Residence is not sufficient for non-EU citizens)
- You must be available to travel to an audition in the week of 12 December 2022 if chosen for the final stage
Additionally, we will need to ensure that the successful candidate will be available during certain periods to be agreed between March and December 2023, and most particularly during July and August 2023.